Sunday, November 29, 2009

Layers

I love layers. Sure, my hubby is complex, but those aren't quite the layers I'm referring to. I'm thinking of layers of color, texture, and flavors. You got it - I'm talking about food. Think lasagna. Tiramisu. Chicago-style, stuffed crust pizza. Hot fudge sundaes.

My new favorite layered food is this bean casserole from Moosewood Restaurant's Simple Suppers that my hubby and I made for Thanksgiving.



It had green beans and leeks on the bottom. Then I poured a flavorful puree of cannellini beans, garlic, and fresh herbs over that. (That was the best part - the puree was as rich as a cream sauce!) We added layers of gruyere cheese and more beans, then topped it with a crust of Parmigiano Reggiano and freshly ground bread crumbs. As it cooked the garlic emanated from the oven, and the sauce became thick, rich, and creamy. We will definitely try this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP