Friday, September 25, 2009
But dating has changed again. Sure, we still do “house dates,” but I also find myself planning dates with my daughter. We make some special dessert or watch a ballerina movie. I try to squeeze in dates with girlfriends, and we go out for lunch or drinks. And I also arrange playdates for my daughter and a friend to get together as often as possible. Sure, dating is not what it once was, but it’s still pretty darn fun. Maybe MORE fun since it involves a little more creativity.
Strangely, I had already written this post when I came home and found this surprise from my husband, which I think will be tonight’s date:
So what was your last date like? High school dance, takeout, or a ballerina movie?
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
So I made up a recipe last night. Who makes up a recipe on a weeknight, right? Well. I guess I do. And you ask . . . “Why?!?” I guess there are three reasons. I (and my family) have to eat something. I hate to spend much time cooking, especially on a weeknight. And I hate to throw food away, which means I need alternative ways to empty the fridge.
So last night’s dinner was my very own Goat Cheese Mac ‘n’ Cheese. To make, heat a T of melted butter with 2 1/2 T flour and whisk for a minute. Add 1 ½ cups of milk and bring almost to a boil, whisking often. Add a few seasonings, like salt, pepper, a teaspoon of dry mustard, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Whisk in about 2 oz of leftover goat cheese and about ½ cup of shredded cheddar. Once the cheese melts and the sauce thickens slightly, pour over plain leftover pasta and serve.
Total time = 15 minutes, maybe less.
So how much time did you spend making, ordering, or waiting in line for dinner last night? I’m always amazed how quickly a homemade meal can be thrown together. Of course, that’s not always the case, but it worked this time.
- Farmer's Kitchen Cafe Best Weeknight Takeout in Davis - I pre-order for home delivery
- Kerbey Lane Cafe My favorite pancake place ~ located in Austin, TX, no less! Don't miss it if you have the chance to go
- Le Petit Boutique and Cafe Visit Paris in Sacramento! Shopping, coffee, and pastries
- Nugget Market Best cakes, cupcakes, and tiramisu in Davis
- Patxi's Pizza Fantastic Chicago-style pizza in San Francisco
- Russian River Brewing Company Great beers and lots of happy people in Santa Rosa
- San Francisco's Academy of Science Who knew a museum could have such classy food?
- St. Helena Olive Oil Co. They ship Napa Valley edibles all over the country, or visit their store for samples
- Stephen's Farmhouse Located on the edge of Yuba City, this adorable old-fashioned farmstand offers a variety of pies, cookies, jams, produce, and gifts.
- Surfing Goat Dairy One of Maui's great surprises - tour the farm, feed the goats, and enjoy some of the best cheese of your life!
- Tea List Davis' very own Tea Room, offering a variety of teas, sandwiches, and pastries
- The Tuck Box An idyllic little place in Carmel that's one-of-a-kind
My Blog List
- ► 2010 (127)