Sunday, August 1, 2010

Meatless Mondays: Labeling


Back when I started this blog almost eleven months ago (can't believe it!) I wasn't really sure how I should label myself. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to write a "food blog" or whether I wanted to write more of a "life blog." I quickly found that the topics I most enjoyed writing about were food, cooking, parties, and excursions. Even after I discovered these things, I still resisted labeling myself ~ I never became a true "food blog," I never confined myself to any particular topic, and I definitely never let on that most of what I was writing about was healthy eating.

So now I've decided to come out of the pantry so to speak. I'm going to label myself. Get ready . . . It's almost time . . .

I am a vegetarian. There I said it. Had you guessed? Anybody who knows me in person probably already knows this, but I've somehow managed not to mention it here. Now I'm going to start mentioning it. Regularly.

I've been a vegetarian since I was eleven years old, and I knew even earlier then that I was destined to eat meatless. I never cared for meat much, and I was always a bit squeemish about my animal friends being part of my meal. I've always been somewhat of a healthnut, and I've long known that I just feel better when meat is not part of my diet. So instead of eating stew I eat beans and rice. No biggie, right? I never thought it was.

Recently I've become a little interested in telling people about what I eat because eating IS a big deal. To quote Michael Pollen, "four of the top ten causes of death today are chronic diseases with well-established links to diet: coronary heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and cancer." Diet matters. So my goal is to talk about going meatless once weekly as part of the Meatless Mondays movement, a public health initiative encouraging people to occasionally cut out meat.

So tell me, have you ever tried going meatless?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP